Thursday, September 17, 2009

Adventure Calls

I have been lucky enough to do a lot of travelling the last few years since I made a serious effort to start living my dream. I have sat and enjoyed coffee in Parisian café's, walked down cobble stone streets in Germany and stood fascinated at the size of the waves in Portugal. I have walked in 104 different towns and cities in 18 different countries.

But I often find myself craving more, craving to climb more volcanoes, volcanoes that are more wild than the ones I climbed in New Zealand, I crave walking streets that teach me to rely on myself like the ones I walked in New York City, I crave to feel adrenaline like the adrenaline I felt when I found myself crawling into a glacier in the cold, dark Arctic.

What dread and excitement at the same time looks like.



What pure satisfaction looks like.

I have missed doing something that requires me to push myself. And as I look at photos of my last adventure and reminisce, I find myself opening Google Earth and looking down at the adventures I hope to have ahead of me.

Going overland from Europe to Asia via the Transiberian
Spending weeks walking the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela
Seeing the Wallace Line for myself
Trekking through the jungles of Columbia to find the 'Lost City'

Ah adventure. I've missed you, my friend.

5 comments:

Amanda Blog and Kiss said...

Wooooooow, you're my new hero. You've got to tell me about some of these sometimes. Or you know....blog about it for the masses. :)

Paula said...

That looks like so much fun! I've done a lot of traveling myself.. been to don't-know-how-many-towns/cities in 12 different countries. Wish my blog was up and running so I could've shared everything, but oh well.

ps. Portugal is next on my list :)

Anita said...

Wow.
Althought I knew already that you had been in several countries I had no idea that you were such and adventurous type of traveler, searching for radical experiences. Climbing mountains, walking the "Camino" etc.... no, definitely it is not for me !

Magda said...

What an accomplishment, Ange. The mountain trek looked remarkable. Can't wait to read about your next/past adventure.

Angela said...

Amanda: I can show you pictures even :D

Paula: You should totally get your blog up and running, it's nice having it to look back on later! Portugal is gorgeous! You will love it :)

Anita: It surprises me sometimes too :)

Magda: It was pretty special, especially seeing the northern lights before it all started. I wish I could live in Svalbard for a year and really experience it!